Healthy and regular digestion is imperative to leading a productive and comfortable day. Here are my eight tips for better digestion!
- Stay away from ice. Food and drink are digested easier when they are consumed at body temperature. Drinking something cold can slow down the digestive process.
- Try fasting to give your digestive system a rest. Starting a simple 24-hour fast will help your digestive system reset and get back into rhythm. Always remember to drink lots of low sugar vegetable and fruit juice during your fast.
- An obvious, but very important tip, is to actually chew your food. When you fail to chew your food enough, it is significantly harder to digest food and you don’t absorb all of the nutrients.
- Go sour! Squeeze the juice of one lemon into 8 to 16 ounces of filtered water and consume it first thing in the morning. This practice is very alkalizing and will eliminate any extra stomach acid and give you a boost of energy.
- Pop open a nice bottle of organic apple cider vinegar – with the mother, of course. One to three teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with an 8oz glass of apple juice will balance your digestive system and leave you feeling refreshed and ready for the day.
- Eat lean meats. When you eat meat that is too fatty, it causes uncomfortable bloating and occasionally gas during digestion. Only consume lean proteins to avoid the nausea and clean out your stomach!
- Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated through out the day will help your body dissolve fats easier and keep you regular.
- Incorporate probiotics into your daily routine. Whether through taking probiotic supplements or just having a spoon full of Greek yogurt, probiotics will help your digestive system run more smoothly overall. The probiotics help reinforce your immune system and flood your digestive tract with good bacteria.
I also wrote a post a while back, Love Your Gut, with some additional tips to improve gut health. Check it out and let me know if you try any of the suggesitons I mention.