I think we can all agree that kale is a step ahead most vegetables in terms of nutritional content. From the immune support to visual benefits, kale has been keeping people healthy for centuries. In this list, I will give you my top five reasons you should incorporate kale into your diet and a few different ways to prepare it!
Reasons to Eat Kale:
- Kale Fights Cancer: It is so rich in antioxidants that it has the ability to fight against the growth of cancer and Alzheimer’s. It is also packed with vitamin K, another contributing factor to stopping the development of deadly diseases.
- Kale Lowers Cholesterol: It has been proven to lower high cholesterol levels and support healthy cholesterol levels, an intricate component to cardiovascular health.
- Kale is a Detoxifier: It is laden with vitamins and minerals that support a healthy immune system and detoxifies your body of different toxic, harmful chemicals.
- Kale and Calories: Eat as much as you want! In one cup there are only 33 calories, .6 grams of fat, 329 grams of fat, and over 130% of your daily value of vitamins A and C.
- Kale Helps Visually: Because it contains coratenoids, it can help protect your eyes from ultraviolet light.
How to Prepare Kale:
- Smoothie: Put one bunch of kale in any smoothie to give yourself that extra boost. But be aware if you suffer from thyroid dysfunction, as kale contains goitrogens that inhibit thyroid function. Before adding to your smoothie, make sure you blanch your greens to deactivate the goitrogens and still get all the nutritional punch.
- Soup: Use kale in soup to increase the nutritional value of the broth and add a different texture and taste.
- Pizza: Who doesn’t love pizza? Put kale on any your pizza to give your pizza some color.